It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:33 am

Welcome
Welcome to conferencesouthnomads

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Maidenhead town centre pub crawl
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:30 pm 

Maidenhead town centre pub crawl

Circular route -

Start at The Bell, opposite the station

<down Queen Street>

The Greyhound (Wetherspoons)

<veer left, continuing down Queen Street, past the Honeypot>

The Corner House (formerly Noctors)

<cross road and continue down Queen Street>

The Hand & Trousers (rugby pub)

<turn right and head along the non-pedestrianised part of the High Street>

The Maiden’s Head (formerly Hobgoblin – sit outside if weather is nice)

<continue along non-pedestrianised part of the High Street, past Halifax bank)

The Bear (Lloyds – again, sit outside if weather is nice)

<walk up road opposite Halifax bank, turn right when you get to York Road>

The Anchor (directly opposite main entrance to the ground, feel free to donate a scarf!)

DISCLAIMER: none of these - with the possible exception of The Hand & Trousers, which I don’t particularly like – are ever likely to feature in the Good Pub Guide!

Post subject: Re: Maidenhead town centre pub crawl
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:51 pm 

Walk PAST the honeypot?

FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round - Achieved and surpassed
FA Trophy 1st round

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:28 pm 

fc83 wrote:
Walk PAST the honeypot?

Yes, definitely, if you know what’s good for ya!

The girls in there are ... how should I put this ... not exactly ‘Spearmint Rhino-quality’

If you must go in, then try for a discounted entry fee with a MUFC Ltd match-day programme

#familyclub

Alternative pub crawl (to the one mentioned above) –

Again, start at The Bell

<head down the pedestrianised King Street>

Bar Sport (better than it sounds)

<cross road by cinema and continue down non- pedestrianised King Street>

The Rose (which I like, despite being a little pricey)

<continue past the market and shopping centre entrance to corner of pedestrianised High Street>

White Horse (nothing special)

<continue down pedestrianised High Street to either Hand & Trousers or Maiden’s Head, as per aforementioned crawl>

Recommended night club, incidentally, is Smokey Joe’s (down side road opposite The Rose)

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:51 pm 

For Maidenhead, I can recommend The Ark in Ray Street (from the Bear, walk straight down for about 5 mins, it's on the right. Wine merchants on the corner). Little backstreet pub. Couple of beer options, appears to be run by Irish family judging by the amount of Gaelic football stuff about.

Then back up to the main road, cross over and walk a few yards up and into Oldfield Rd. Just up there is the Grenfell Arms. Place was absolutely dead when we arrived and the landlord nearly came in his pants when 2-3 "where are you drinking?" phonecalls from late arrivals at the station produced a total of 20 or so Sutton fans thirsty for beer! :) Had several pumps on, some better than others. Interesting raffle he had going where a quid got you a ticket and there were different prizes from free pints to meal for two etc. Not a bad idea.

They're both away from the ground, so allow 15 mins at least to stroll back to York Rd for the football. But we just fancied something different on our last visit. Oh and the old Hobgoblin (now the Maiden Head) was closed for a refit when we were last in town.

Twitter: @gandermonium
Instagram: @gandermonium

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:44 pm 

Yeah, I like the Ark. Murdo’s local.

I’ve never been in the Grenfell (it’s only relatively recently reverted to that name). It doesn’t (or certainly didn’t) have a great reputation.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:29 pm 

Messed up trains this season meant a slightly impromptu nature to the boozing in Maidenhead on this occasion.

Started in the Corner House, where we saw a local ref enjoying a pint of Stella in full kit. This was just after 11am, so he hadn't yet done his game. :) Clean, tidy, reasonable beer. Don't bother asking the young barman for pub advice however, as everything was "Fucking shit" in his opinion! After here, we went to the newly refurbished Maiden's Head. We were the first people in and they were clearly delighted to have some custom. Not cheap, but decent beer & cider selection and the lads who ate said the nosh was good. Nice big beer garden out back too for the smokers.

Finally got to visit the Anchor and my word. What an experience. No beer on, so I switched to G&T. When it arrived there was a straw in it, which I thought was the lads taking the piss. Then I saw the state of the glass. I used the straw. The Fosters apparently tasted like cream soda as well. Shocking. As I said at the time, "Its not in the good beer guide. But if it was, 'Rough as arseholes' would feature in the description." Even Greek was horrified by the place and he's led us into some absolute fucking dives over the years thanks to his "Why are we walking past a pub?" type moaning because he's a fat bloke who doesn't like walking.

Popped into Stripes (the clubhouse) to rinse our mouths out before KO. Two pretty young ladies behind the bar helped matters. Greek inventing some cocktail involving Blue WKD & Disarono didn't.

After the game we met Lenny and he took us to Bar Sport for a few before we headed home. Not half bad as shiny sports bars go. The 'Jam Doughnut' shots were a little unnecessary however.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:20 pm 

Location: Roman Verulamian where some of you may remember me as EFMTFV - SACFC
Question about the Anchor, does anyone own it or is just a load of squatters running it because it's clearly as derelict as the rest of the row of houses it's attached to

And why has nobody devolped the site? We broke into them houses for a look round in the 1990s

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:46 pm 

According to Lenny when we visited this season, those buildings are owned by a family apart from the pub. But the lad who owned it has now sold out to them and it's just being run down with a tenant landlord, I guess until they can get planning etc to replace what's currently there building wise.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:44 pm 

Lenny Baryea (MUFC) wrote:
Yeah, I like the Ark. Murdo’s local.

I’ve never been in the Grenfell (it’s only relatively recently reverted to that name). It doesn’t (or certainly didn’t) have a great reputation.

If it's Murdos local, then best to give it a wide berth.

Is he still banned from York Rd?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:35 am 

Taz SUFC wrote:
Oldfield Rd. Just up there is the Grenfell Arms. Place was absolutely dead when we arrived and the landlord nearly came in his pants when 2-3 "where are you drinking?" phonecalls from late arrivals at the station produced a total of 20 or so Sutton fans thirsty for beer! :) Had several pumps on, some better than others. Interesting raffle he had going where a quid got you a ticket and there were different prizes from free pints to meal for two etc. Not a bad idea.

They're both away from the ground, so allow 15 mins at least to stroll back to York Rd for the football. But we just fancied something different on our last visit. Oh and the old Hobgoblin (now the Maiden Head) was closed for a refit when we were last in town.

I finally went in the Grenfell for a friend’s 50th birthday party early last month.

Very impressed.

Loads of decent local ales, including Windsor & Eton’s Windsor Knot and Bingham’s excellent Brickworks.

I can also confirm that the Maiden’s Head (formerly the Hob, old guv’nor of which is now running the Anchor!) has re-opened. Meh.

gertcha wrote:
Question about the Anchor, does anyone own it or is just a load of squatters running it because it's clearly as derelict as the rest of the row of houses it's attached to

And why has nobody devolped the site? We broke into them houses for a look round in the 1990s

The Anchor is part of a building known locally as ‘Death Row’.

All bar the Anchor was owned by Michael Shanly (who owns most of Maidenhead, so much so that it has been suggested the town should be renamed Shanlyville).

That was until Shanly paid Landlord Joe’s asking price, earlier this year.

No immediate plans to demolish and redevelop, though, it would seem.

As such, the pub remains open and is now popular with the tattooed and piercings crowd, with our impressive scarf collection replaced by heavy metal posters.

The seats held together by duct-tape have finally been replaced, but the cleanliness of the pipes and glasses has nose-dived, and you’re more likely to find 4Music on TV (muted) than Sky Sports.

Stoney Ground wrote:
Is he still banned from York Rd?

No, not at the moment …

;-)